If you’ve ever sat in the backyard on a hot summer night being eaten alive by pests, you know how satisfying the sound of a bug zapper doing its job can be. I’m not into wanton violence, but I’m also not a fan of becoming a pin cushion for mosquitos either.
LED lights are one of the reasons why bug zappers are more productive today than in the 1900s. The basics are the same; insects are lured to the light and then electrocuted. Scientists, however, proved that the bug zapper with LED lights work better than the traditional lighting used. The brighter light attracts more insects using less energy.
What is the best bug zapper for your needs?
Top Bug Zappers in 2019
Best Outdoor Bug Zapper for Large Yard
Flowtron BK-40D Electronic Insect Killer
- Flowtron BK-15D Electronic Insect Killer, 1/2 Acre Coverage
- Flowtron MA-1000-6 Octenol Mosquito Attractant Cartridges, 6-Pack
- The cord is 9" in length
The Flowtron BK-40D electric bug killer has a killing radius of 1.5 acres. It is highly effective and therefore is best to hang it about 25-30 feet away from the house to avoid being surrounded by bugs lured to the Flowtron. One consumer suggested start using the bug zapper early in the season and thereby disrupting the insects’ reproductive cycle. Then, there aren’t so many bugs later in summer.
When plugged in, it works day and night continuously but uses little electricity. It is, however, possible to program it to work only at certain times. A large grid ensures that differently sized bugs are trapped. The staggered frame, however, will protect against fingers being zapped by accidentally touching the zapper. Although some insects will stick to the grid, the bug zapper is almost clog–free. The open bottom allows dead insects to fall to the ground, for birds to feast on.
A black high-intensity ultraviolet light attracts a variety of bugs and insects to the grid. Included is the optional use of Octenol attractant to lure mosquitos. There are no unpleasant smells or the unsightly view of dead bugs stuck to a stick strip. A zap sound is heard when the bugs are electrocuted.
Considering the large area, it covers, it’s understandable that the Flowtron BK-40D bug zapper is for outdoor use only.
Watt/Lumen: 40-Watt bulb
Size Dimensions: 9 ¾ x 9 ¾ x 16 ½ inch and covers 1.5 acres.
Best Camping Bug Zapper
Enkeeo 2-in-1 Camping Lantern Bug Zapper
Enkeeo Camping Lantern Bug Zapper is a combined mosquito zapper and camping lantern. The LED 360-400 nm ultraviolet light bulb provides the blue-green light that attracts mosquitos creating a 16 by a 16–foot mosquito-free zone which is large enough for your camping area, on a patio or small yard.
An extra long-life 2000 mAh rechargeable battery gives you 15 hours bug zapper runtime which is more than enough to last the night. The bug zapper functions as a lantern too. If used only as a light, the battery will last about 20 hours with low lighting or 6 hours on the high setting before it requires recharging.
The electric bug zapper is a lightweight and comfortable size to use around the campsite. The waterproof body with an IPX6 rating can withstand rain and be cleaned with running tap water.
A plastic cage protects pets and kids from accidentally touching the inner wires. The lampshade is removable, and the lamp can be used upside down as a lamp at your campsite or hanging from a branch. The retractable hook ensures that you can easily attach the bug zapper high enough from the ground and be able to retract it. Three different lighting modes to adjust according to brightness or softness required.
Watt/Lumen: 30-180 lumen LED light and 5-8–Watt zapper
Weight: 0.44 pounds
Dimensions: 3.46 x 5.08 inches
Best Bug Zapper for Small Yards
Flowtron ½ Acre Electronic Insect Killer
- Patented high-efficiency, non-clogging killing grid
- Rugged weatherproof construction won't rust, crack or fade
- High-intensity light bulb for increased lure capacity
- Bulb is easy to remove and replace
With its sturdy design, the Flowtron half-acre is built for convience. It’s ideal for backyards, patios or small yards up to half an acre. The innovative protective grid reduces clogging; the insects are lured with a technology proven UV light and when silently zapped, fall to their demise.
Thhis outdoor bug zapper is designed to use a Octenol Mosquito Attractant Cartidges for effectively luring normal mosquitos. This scent helps to capture biting flies as well. You’ll get 6 cartridged which will last you at least six months. Unfortunately it’s not great against Tiger Mosquitos – you’ll need to get a different additional lure if that is your issue. Luckily this model doesn’t require proprietary lures – you can attach them almost anywhere to the device.
Included in the package is a nine-inch power cord which means you will need an outdoor–rated extension cord. Hang the Stinger 7 feet from the ground and 25-30 feet away from where humans will be hanging out.
Inexpensive compared to other bug zappers, the Flowtron does its job and has a 2–year warranty. The polycarbonate material is weatherproof and durable. If you have an urban or smaller country lot, this device is a good choice for you.
Watt/Lumen: 15 Watt BF-35 Ultra Violet light
Weight: 5 pounds
Dimensions: 8.5 x 8.5 x 13.5 inches
Best Indoor Bug Zapper
GLOUE Bug Zapper Moth and Mosquito Killer
- MOST EFFECTIVE & POWERFUL: The 2019 latest type of mosquito zapper made of Eco-friendly material. It operates noiselessly by simply plugging it into an AC outlet. It attracts bugs with emitting high-intensity UV light. Then the electrically charged high voltage metal grids will electrocute the insects. You will get rid of all unwanted insects and bugs immediately.
- CHEMICAL-FREE: Made of Eco-friendly material. Get rid of mosquitoes fast without sticky, messy poisons or sprays. Use natural physical method gets rid of flies. Great for places where pesticides can't be sprayed like kitchens and hospitals. Completely harmless to human and pets.
- COMPACT SHAPE：The compact size easy to carry and use, whether in your house, in motor homes, or in a hotel. It does not take up much space in your suitcase. Additionally, the indoor fly killer is equipped with a detachable cover, which can be easily removed for cleaning and bug disposal. Enjoy leisure time anytime without disturbance.
- QUICK AND EASY INSTALLATION: Just to plug the Bug Zapper in the port, it will immediately work for you! Perfect for indoors or outdoors. Can be used at home, office, kitchens, restaurants, schools, etc. For residential, commercial and industrial use. Perfect also for gardens, yards, pool area, etc. Due to its size the effective coverage is about 16 square meters.
Gloue Bug Zapper is a non-toxic night lamp/”flying pest control device” that covers an area of 170 square feet. Light in weight the compact design takes up little space and is easy to set up in a room, the kitchen or living area. It won’t work well in a large room or outdoors, but can do the trick in a bedroom or tent for example.
The indoor bug zapper is made from eco–friendly material; it attracts and electrocutes insects with minimal noise. There’s no sticky mess or odors.
Switch off and unplug before removing the metal plate to clean the device with a cloth or brush. The removable insect tray is easy to clean and to replace again.
Weight: 4 ounces
Dimensions: 5.5 x 3.4 x 1.9 inches
Best Solar Bug Zapper
HAKOL Ultimate Bug Zapper
- GET RID OF ALL THOSE BLOOD-SUCKING MOSQUITOS ONCE & FOR ALL with the HAKOL ultra-quiet and highly efficient bug zapper, which is specifically designed to eliminate all flying insects, including flies, mosquitos and all other bugs.
- THE SAFEST WAY TO ELIMINATE INSECTS & BUGS IS FINALLY HERE! No more toxic fumes, no more sprays, no more hassle. Our eco-friendly and safe UV light insect killer is ideal for families with children or elderly, since it's 100% safe and non-toxic.
- DISCOVER THE MOST CONVENIENT CAMPING ACCESSORY EVER! Our effective USBrechargeable electronic insect killer can also double as a powerful and handy camping lantern with up to 18 hours of continuous use with on a single 3-hour charge.
- NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT YOUR FLYING INSECT KILLER! The HAKOL premium fly and mosquito zapper is not only space-saving, but also extremely lightweight, so you can take it with you on your camping, hunting, fishing or backpacking trips!
Solar powered, and with a 5 V USB charger makes it possible to use the HAKOL Ultimate Bug Zapper almost anywhere, indoor and outdoor, at home or when you go camping, a picnic or hiking. It doesn’t rely on electricity and isn’t limited by the length of a power cord. The solar panel at the top charges during the day when the sun’s shining, ready to trap the mosquitos at night. The USB charger is an alternative to charging the bug zapper if there’s not enough sun. Charge it with a car charger, power bank or laptop. The charger uses a lithium battery which is included in the purchase.
As a solar powered device, it is environmentally friendly, and the LED light saves on energy. The LED bulb has a lifespan of about 50,000 hours. Toxic free. No poisons or chemicals are used that emit fumes or smells. It is quiet and doesn’t make a zapping or popping noise when the bugs are killed. The bug zapper is pet and child–friendly. A guard around the light protects fingers accidentally being zapped when switched on.
The HAKOL zapper kills mosquitos and moths while emiting a soft light that won’t glare in your face. It is lightweight and easy to carry for light when walking in the dark. The soft light makes it ideal to use in a baby’s room to get rid of the bugs without disturbing the child’s sleep. Alternatively, use only one of the functions on its own: a bug zapper or as light. Select the zapper, light or both by pushing the rotating button.
Weight: 10.4 ounces
Dimensions: 6 x 5.5 x 4.5 inches
Electric Bug Zapper Science Information
- Researchers discovered that mosquitos aren’t attracted to UV lights to the same extent as other insects. Mosquitos react to the carbon dioxide people exhale and the water vapor from body sweat. Hence, some bug zappers contain chemicals that produce CO2 to attract mosquitos.
- These experts also discovered biting insects are lured by blue and green more than red and yellow. Hence bug zappers with wavelengths 400-600 nm and at least 1100 lumen may be the best to trap for biting insects. The wavelengths represent the color spectrum and the lumen the brightness.
- Bug zappers work by using a transformer to take lower-voltage electricity and step it up into high voltage – usually 2000 Volts or more! This voltage is applied to the two-pieces of wire mesh that surrounds the LED or bulb inside the device. These mesh grids are seperated by a tiny air-gap. When a bug touches both sets of mesh – ZAAAP!
Tips On How To Make Your Bug Zapper Work
- Install It Away From Your Target Area: One mistake many first-time owners make is putting the mosquito-killer next to the patio or pool they want to protect. This is a mistake. You need to locate the device 20-30 feet away from the area you want to protect.
The zapper works by using light to attract insects and other pests to the device, and eventually killing them. The important word is eventually. Before they die, the bugs will hang out in the area. If your party or event is next to thebug zapper, all you are doing is inviting the condemned to their last-meal – hosted by you!
- Install the Zapper High Enough To Be Seen: If the moths and mosquitos can’t see the device, they won’t be attracted. Therefore, you want to place the zapper at a 6-10 ft height where there are no obstructions to block the light. Above a low fence, on a pole or tree limb are all good choices.
- Keep It Clean: Yor zapper won’t work well if you don’t occassionally clean out the dead bugs from the bottom of the unit. Make sure the device is unplugged (or the battery is discharged if it is a portable model) so you don’t accidently shock yourself!
A soft brush is great to clean the mesh. You can use a soft cloth to clean out the bottom of the unit.