Ryobi Brand Info
The Japanese company Ryobi Seisakusho Co., Ltd was founded on December 16, 1943. Ryobi manufactured metal die-cast products and expanded to plastic die-cast production in the ‘50s. Ryobi diversified into the automobile telecommunications, electronic, construction, and printing industries in the 60s.
In 1961 they listed on the Tokyo Stock Exchange and started producing power tools in 1968 becoming a market leader first in Japan and then worldwide.
Ryobi Seisakusho changed its name to Ryobi Limited in 1973. Twelve years later they began production at their manufacturing plant in Shelbyville, Indiana.
Techtronic Industries, Hong Kong purchased the Ryobi U.S. subsidiary for $95 million in 2000, the European operations for $6.8 million in 2001 and for $3 million Australia and New Zealand operations in 2002. In the same year, Techtronic Industries signed an exclusive distribution deal with Home Depot in the U.S. They did the same with Bunnings Warehouse in Australia and New Zealand to exclusively sell Ryobi Tools.
Techtronic continued to acquire global control of the Ryobi brand except for Ryobi in Japan which was purchased by Kyocera Corporation at the beginning of 2018.
Ryobi manufactures a variety of power tools; lawn and garden equipment; and garage door openers; and batteries with chargers. They specialize in affordable pro-featured power tools and accessories for DIY consumers, hobbyists, woodworkers, metalworkers, and gardeners. Their product lines are anchored by the 18-volt ONE+ System.
Ryobi Tools universal warranties include
- 3-year warranty for outdoor products purchased on or after January 1, 2009
- 3-year warranty for portable power tools and bench or stationary tools purchased on or after January 1, 2011
- 2-year manufacturer’s warranty for all Ryobi brand products
- 5-year warranty for lithium-ion outdoor tools purchased on or after January 1, 2014
- 5-year warranty for some pressure washers
- Lifetime limited warranty for hand tools
- 1-year warranty for pool products
- Lifetime warranty to garage door opener motors and belts